MultilingualPress 2 to 3 Migration Tool
This tool provides you a fast and easy solution to migrate your WordPress Multisite content from MultilingualPress version 2 (MLP 2) to version 3 (MLP 3).
Please note: This is an alpha version and will be improved after some testing. Please do not use this on a live system.
You can help us to improve the tool by sending us possible problems you discover via firstname.lastname@example.org or on Github.
If you prefer to manually migrate from MLP 2 to MLP 3, you can follow this tutorial.
The following documentation shows the essential steps to install and use the MultilingualPress 2 to 3 Migration Tool
Table of Contents
Requirements for MultilingualPress 2 to 3 Migration Tool
In order to perform a migration of your Multisite Network from MLP 2 to the new Version MLP 3, you need:
- An installed version of WordPress Multisite with WordPress 4.8 or above.
- An installed and activated version of MLP 2.
- WP-CLI has to be installed in order to execute the MLP 2 to MLP 3 migration tool via WP-CLI command line. If you need help, follow this tutorial for WP-CLI installation.
Please note: Before proceeding, we strongly recommend a full backup including all the files and the database of your Multisite Network.
Setting the environment
- Go to: My Sites → Network Admin → Plugins and Update MLP 2 to the latest version (2.11.3 or above) if needed.
- Download and Install the latest version of MLP 3 (3.2.0 or above). If you need help, see this tutorial.
Please note: Don’t activate the MLP 3 Plugin yet.
- Download the MultilingualPress 2 to 3 Migration Tool on Github. The latest version of the migration tool can be downloaded from this link.
Go to releases and download the zip file of the latest version.
- Install the MultilingualPress 2 to 3 Migration Tool on WordPress:
- Go to My Sites → Network Admin → Plugins and press the button Add New.
- Select Upload Plugin and upload the Plugin zip file from your computer.
- Press Install Now.
- After installation completed, click Network Activate to activate the plugin across your Multisite environment.
- Go to: My Sites → Network Admin → Plugins and Network Deactivate MLP 2.
- Network Activate MLP 3.
Executing the migration
- Run the tool via the command line of your system (Windows: cmd.exe; Mac: Terminal) by entering the following instruction:
wp mlp2to3 all
- The above command will perform all the needed action to achieve the migration from MLP 2 to MLP 3. A process bar will be visible during migration.
- You can also execute only a specific task:
Refer to the online help to see which tasks are available by using the command:
wp mlp2to3 --help
- When the migration is completed: Check that the site is working properly and no errors occur.
Please note: In case of an error, contact our Support.
- If the previous step was successful: Uninstall MLP2 by going to My Sites → Network Admin → Plugins and Delete.
- Network Deactivate and Delete the Migration Plugin.